Sr. Application Analyst
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Job Description :
Under direction of a Principal Applications Analyst / Project
Manager or an Information Technology Manager, performs advanced
level Business Analysis for the elicitation, analysis, and
validation of system requirements; performs complex programming
assignments according to the City's Software Development Lifecycle
(SDLC), established guidelines, and technology standards; designs,
develops and implements commercial systems and system interfaces;
revises, improves, updates, and maintains existing systems;
participates in or manages business process reengineering,
upgrades, new technology, and system implementation projects;
provides training and
technical support to technical staff and end-users; executes
established standards and priorities; manages small to medium sized
projects; closely coordinates with system owners, end-users,
vendors, the public, and project teams; executes the Information
Technology Strategic Plan; and performs related duties as
Required Skills : Essential job functions may include, but not
- Plans, designs, recommends, installs, upgrades, and supports
application systems, interfaces, queries, database, scripting
activities, and business intelligence/reporting solutions to
achieve optimum performance in accordance with the IT Service Level
- Completes service requests in a timely manner and provides
support to end users; guides and assists others in completing
service requests. Troubleshoots, upgrades, or configures
application, database or reporting systems to determine cause(s) or
failure and resolves problems, to include cybersecurity
- Designs, documents, develops, codes, tests, and debugs
applications and interfaces.
- Analyzes, validates, and documents business processes and
system requirements using standard Business Analysis tools and
methodologies for the development or procurement of software
- Designs, documents and develops extract, transform, load (ETL)
processes to ensure accessibility of data from business systems for
reports or use by other systems.
- Ensures systems and applications, including the City's Internet
and Intranet, are patched and kept current on all security patches
- Conducts design sessions and develops design
- Evaluates and monitors cost acquisition of applications,
scripting, and reporting tools related items to obtain the best
results, meet budget guidelines, and ensure system
- Assists in the development and execution of preventive
maintenance programs identifying weaknesses of current systems to
determine critical application, reporting or system issues,
- Develops technical system documentation, training materials,
and provides training to users and support staff.
- Prepares presentation materials for meetings; documents and
follows up on actions and decisions from meetings.
- Assists in the development and operations of the IT Strategic
- Provides input and recommendations on new technology and
solicits technical specifications.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both verbally and in
- Assists in the creation of operational procedure
- Provides guidance to team members.
- Acts as a liaison between the various divisions within the
department along with the client departments.
- Provides subject-matter expertise on complex technical
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Principles and practices of excellent customer
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Report writing with
Crystal Report and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services
- Principles and practices of ITSM (IT Service Management)
systems to include Incident; Request Fulfilment; Knowledgebase;
Asset Management and IT Service Catalogs.
- Developments and trends of application and reporting
- Fundamentals of Business Analysis Core Concept Model (BACCM)
framework defined in Business Analysis Body of Knowledge
- Database design and basic administration of database platforms
like Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle.
- RDBMS programming including stored procedures and user
- Basic knowledge of Local Area Network (LAN), wireless, and Wide
Area Network (WAN) technology.
- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Microsoft
- Team formation and execution; how to motivate teams.
- Cost-benefit analyses to recommend the most effective
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Gather and document requirements for function changes and new
requirements, translating user defined requirements into technical
- Plan, design, document, install and support application
systems, scripting, business intelligence reports for both
enterprise and departmental needs.
- Effectively organize, prioritize, and follow-up on work
assignments to meet established deadlines.
- Prepare clear and concise written reports and technical
- Respond promptly and effectively to requests for service,
including cybersecurity incidents.
- Develop complex reports using business intelligence tools;
convert data into information.
- Learn new business systems, programming languages, reporting
tools, databases, and other technology tools as required to support
the City's operations.
- Perform cost/benefit analysis for applications, reports,
systems enhancement or replacement.
- Establish and maintain and promote positive and effective
working relationships with employees, other agencies, public
officials, and the public.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the
performance of duties.
- Work independently and as a team member; recognize and set
priorities and meet deadlines.
- Work with vendors, ensuring the priorities of the City are
- Serve as a client liaison to identify and define project
requirements, scope and objectives.
- Provide guidance and direction to team members.
- Provide emergency response to reduce downtime, correct errors
or monitor vendor activity surrounding critical system failures,
off-hours scheduled maintenance downtime or work on call on a
scheduled and as needed basis.
- Provide services in different geographical locations throughout
the City as requested by users or needed.
- Previous experience working in a public agency.
- Certifications in current programming or scripting
- Possession and continued maintenance of a valid class C
California driver's license and a safe driving record, or the
ability to provide alternate transportation which is approved by
the appointing authority.
- A Technology Certificate from an accredited college or trade
school in information technology, computer applications, web
technologies, computer information systems, application
development, database design, programming, technology project
management or closely related field AND six years of experience in
any two of the focus areas;
- An Associate's degree or have completed 60 semester or 90
quarter units at an accredited college or university in business
information systems, computer science, information technology,
software information systems or closely related field AND six years
of experience in any two of the focus areas; OR
- A Bachelor's degree or four years of full-time post-secondary
education from an accredited college or university with
concentration in computer science, information technology,
engineering, informatics, web science, business information systems
or related field AND five years of experience in any two of the
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran
Keywords: E-talentnetwork, Sunnyvale , Sr. Application Analyst, Professions , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...