Platform Cloud Architect
Posted on: August 1, 2022
Hybrid: Sunnyvale, CA (2 days in office / week)
What We Are About:
Our guiding philosophy in Engineering is to get things right
through practicing disciplined engineering, focusing, not cutting
corners, and of course having fun while we are at it. We believe in
enabling ownership at all levels of the organization and empowering
teams. If you thrive in this culture, come join us, we are changing
how enterprises secure their applications. At Illumio, we design
systems and write code that runs both in our own multi-tenant cloud
service and in customer datacenters around the world. ---
What You Will Accomplish:
We are looking for a passionate, hands-on platform Cloud Architect
to join the Platform team of the Policy Compute Engine (PCE), the
central brain of Illumio's Adaptive Security Platform product. Our
PCE Platform team owns the Core Platform and the System Platform of
the Policy Compute Engine. This covers platform frameworks and
infrastructure for our service-oriented architecture including
service and cluster management, high availability, API support,
audit and job infrastructure, authentication and authorization and
The team you will join is responsible for the various deployment
models of the PCE that include our flagship multi-node cluster and
supercluster deployments. We also focus on the important aspects of
scale and performance of the system to meet the demands of our
customers, including queuing, responsiveness, and active
connections to tens of thousands of managed servers. We write unit
and integration tests, as things need to just work. And we're kept
honest by a world-class QA team who will let us know if it
- As a lead in the Platform team at Illumio, you will be
instrumental in developing the architecture and a common platform
infrastructure for multiple products
- Anticipate and be prepared to handle jumps in scale of orders
of magnitude from our customers.
- Mentor engineers, collaborate with peers and leaders in our
- Ability to lead an initiative, drive PoC's and build a
Plan/Proposal considering all cross functional dependencies towards
a successful execution plan
- Providing guidance and mentoring the team on technical
challenges and helping the team with roadblocks
- Identify bottlenecks in current platform, Architect, Design,
develop, and evolve platform features to take it to its next
generation that addresses the bottlenecks.
- Build new scalable platform services that run on-prem and
multi-tenant SaaS applications.
- You will be working with Docker, Kubernetes, Observability
platform with integrations such as Prometheus, Grafana, Splunk, and
a myriad of cloud platforms
- Research and introduce advancement in open-source software such
as containerization and orchestration.
- Expand your domain of expertise to Cyber Security, specifically
zero trust and micro segmentation.
What You Will Bring:
- We want you to have over 5 years of experience building large
scale and performance distributed systems, and REST-ful web
- We expect you to have a broad system understanding and ability
to architect new components from the ground-up. Over 3-5 years of
Systems architecture/design experience.
- 5 Years of experience in Ruby or Python building large scale
and performant distributed systems and web services with REST
- We want strong database fundamentals, and experience with ORM,
experience with postgreSQL is a bonus.
- We seek self-driven, independent, engineers who want to be
hands-on and own the architecture, design and implementation.
- Ability to ask the right questions, articulate design
trade-offs and propose solutions.
- Ability to own architecture decisions, not just for your
features but for the entire platform.
- Strong knowledge of structured, unstructured, and in memory
database and caching systems (eg. Postgres DB, Mongo DB, Redis,
- Experience Leading and driving initiatives that are technically
challenging and executing towards a successful delivery
- Experience with building CI/CD pipelines and best practices
using Jenkins or similar tools
- Experience with virtualization, containers, and orchestration
platforms (Dockers, Kubernetes) is a plus
- Experience with Infrastructure as a Code (IaaC) tools such as
Terraform and chef is a plus
- Experience building high-throughput and high-volume data
pipelines using either batch or stream processing designs---
- Proficient in DevOps concepts & skills required to introduce
and implement observability in the services delivered
- Experience with FedRAMP audits, security scans and addressing
audit findings into the product is a big plus.
- Successful track record of owning their design and
implementation - unafraid to ask questions or articulate design
trade-offs with proposed solutions.
Who We Are
Illumio enables organizations to realize a future without
high-profile breaches by preventing the lateral movement of
attackers across any organization. Founded on the principle of
least privilege in 2013, Illumio provides visibility and
segmentation for endpoints, data centers or clouds. The world's
leading organizations, including Morgan Stanley, BNP Paribas,
Salesforce, and Oracle NetSuite, trust Illumio to reduce cyber
risk. For more information, visit
https://www.illumio.com/what-we-do and engage us on LinkedIn and
Keywords: Illumio, Sunnyvale , Platform Cloud Architect, Professions , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!