Principal Systems Engineer - Optical Networking
Posted on: August 17, 2019
Raytheon's Applied Signal Technology Division is seeking Engineers
who strive for excellence and have a passion to be part of a team
that strengthens our nation and improves the security of our
With locations in Sunnyvale and Anaheim Hills, CA, Salt Lake City,
UT, McLean, VA, and Annapolis Junction, MD, Raytheon AST provides
trusted strategic and tactical SIGINT solutions that protect the
interests of the U.S. and its partners. AST's work in areas such as
high-capacity broadband communications, signal processing and
analysis, tactical SIGINT, and wireless communications continually
challenges our extraordinary engineers to solve problems and make
the world a safer place. AST's work environment is dynamic, highly
collaborative and provides engineers the freedom to strengthen and
expand their skills, explore new and innovative ideas, and work
directly with our nation's finest service members all while
embracing integrity, diversity and work-life balance.
Raytheon offers generous reward and recognition programs in
compensation, broad career development opportunities, excellent
health care options, educational assistance, parental leave,
flexible work schedules, 401(k) with matching, paid holidays and
paid time off.
Whether you wish to live near and experience the California coast,
the Maryland shores, our Nation's capital, or Utah's lakes and
mountains, Raytheon AST encourages you to consider exploring the
unique and rewarding opportunities our cutting-edge-technology team
**This particular position will be staffed in the Sunnyvale, CA or
Salt Lake City, UT location.**
Raytheon Applied Signal Technology (RAST) seeks a Systems Engineer
to develop, test and deploy broadband optical network platforms.
This systems engineer will work closely with customers, other
systems engineers and development engineers to understand customer
requirements and develop a solution that integrates with the
customers' existing network and communications infrastructure.
The successful Principal Systems Engineer will be able to:
- Rapidly come up-to-speed on existing products, systems and
capabilities that relate to areas of current and new
- Understand platforms used for systems supporting US Government
- Understand customer objectives and requirements, and
conceptualize and put into practice new solutions.
- Brief solutions to the customer community as the customer
concepts evolve into firmer requirements and expectations.
- Define, analyze and document CONOPS, requirements,
specifications, and system architectures.
- Define, execute, and document technical trades, impacts, and
- Generate concrete plans for loosely defined and/or highly
complex challenges to enable engineering teams to execute and
deliver solutions accordingly.
- Lead teams of engineers to develop and integrate software,
hardware and FPGA components and platforms to form new
- Lead, plan and execute system integration and test as well as
system deployment efforts.
- Maintain customer focus throughout the systems/product
development lifecycle to ensure satisfaction of customer objectives
within cost and schedule constraints.
- Lead technical proposal preparation and program
- Mentor less experienced and/or less knowledgeable
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in systems engineering in
multiple phases of the systems development lifecycle (e.g. CONOPS,
requirements, design, integration, verification, validation,
- Breadth of experience and expertise in systems engineering
activities that includes at least 3 of the following:
- define and analyze requirements
- develop architectures
- generate and maintain requirements traceability
- conduct trade studies
- identify and manage risks
- generate and manage interface control documents
- perform configuration management
- support technical reviews
- Experience leading cross-discipline (e.g., systems, software,
hardware and FPGA) engineering teams to develop, integrate and
deploy advanced products and systems for U.S. Government
- Experience in broadband communication systems including
telecommunications, optical transport systems, networking
protocols, network operations, transport structures and routing &
- Experience with Wide Area Network (WAN) technologies including
DWDM, SONET/SDH, OTN, and Carrier Ethernet at rates up to
- Experience integrating large-scale optical networking systems,
including signaling, network protocols, communications interfaces,
network devices, optical systems, and Element and Network
Management Systems (NMS).
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications
- Strong presentation and collaboration skills, especially in
working with senior leadership and external customers.
- Able and willing to travel to various RAST locations and
customer facilities (up to 25% of time).
- U.S. Citizenship Status is Required as this position will
require the ability to Access US Only Data Systems.
- Active TS/SCI in the last 2 years, and SSBI within the last 5
years Security Clearance required DAY ONE Desired Skills:
- Extensive experience in systems engineering and product
development for U.S. Government customers.
- Extensive experience and successful track record for leading
development of multiple communication system applications,
products, and/or programs.
- Practical experience in the development and implementation of
large-scale distributed processing architectures, including
addressing architectural processing and storage tradeoffs, dataflow
bottlenecks, latency, and database performance.
- Experience with optical add-drop multiplexers (ADM), optical
transceivers/transponders, coherent optical modulation formats, and
- Experience with product realization of cost effective and low
size, weight, and power (SwaP) systems.
- Experience supporting new business initiatives including
generating proposals, white papers, estimates, and review
- Experience with subcontract management or managing
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer
Engineering, Optical Engineering, Systems Engineering or equivalent
(Master of Science Degree Desired).
This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an
Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for
142322Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status.
Keywords: Raytheon, Sunnyvale , Principal Systems Engineer - Optical Networking, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!