Scientist II, Biology
Company: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company
Posted on: January 12, 2019
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at
General Position Summary/Purpose:
The Scientist II will be a key member of the Research Biology team responsible for providing strong technical expertise and implementation to support drug discovery and novel target identification and validation in hematologic malignancies. The Scientist II will be responsible for executing tasks that require human/murine cell culture, various molecular biology-based assays and other novel scientific approaches to achieve departmental and project goals. He/she should be proficient in standard molecular biology, cell culture and biochemistry techniques and be able to independently execute them. The successful candidate will be expected to clearly communicate the scientific rationale, methodology and results in written and oral formats.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Execute in vitro or ex vivo experiments to validate novel targets using cell lines and primary human cell sources
- Perform cell culture (suspension and adherent) and assays including but not limited to: DNA/RNA/protein purification, lentiviral transduction, CRISPR, RNAi, immunoprecipitation, western blot, ELISA, MSD, qPCR and colorimetric assays
- Accurately document, critically analyze/interpret data and communicate the results promptly
- Utilize technical expertise to troubleshoot and resolve key project hurdles when encountered
- Perform tasks with diligent attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Work with supervisor to improve protocols and develop new assays
- Strong interpersonal skills to thrive in a team environment
- Willingness to embrace the ideas of others and nurture innovations
- BS with 7 or more years of relevant laboratory experience or MS with 5 or more years of relevant laboratory experience required with training in cancer biology. Experience working on hematologic cancers is highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to design, execute and interpret experiments via publications, external presentations or patents
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong technical skills in molecular and cellular biology techniques including but not limited to western blotting, immunoprecipitation, WES, ELISA, DNA/RNA isolation, qPCR
- Expertise in latest molecular and cellular biology techniques for manipulation of gene/protein expression in cancer and immune cell types (viral transduction of primary cells, CRISPR etc.)
- Expertise in multi-color immunophenotyping, flow cytometry and cell imaging techniques
- Experience with cell-based assay development, optimization and troubleshooting
- Basic knowledge on biological data analysis tools (GraphPad Prism, FACS DIVA software, FlowJo, Image Studio, Compass) and computer applications such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint.
- Contribute to lab and equipment maintenance and help create a safe, effective and efficient working environment. Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Keywords: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company, Sunnyvale , Scientist II, Biology, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!