Associate Scientist II
Company: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company
Posted on: September 13, 2018
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
To learn more about us, please visit us at
General Position Summary/Purpose:
A technical R &D position responsible for development and execution of in vivo biomedical studies evaluating the pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic and toxicological properties of pharmaceutical agents. Must possess strong animal technical skills working with rodents. Must possess a demonstrated ability to work independently to execute in vivo studies, effectively document findings, follow animal welfare policy and analyze study data.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Serve as the technical lead for in vivo biomedical testing, demonstrating technical proficiency in rodent dosing by various routes (IV, IP, SC, PO)
- Responsible for the development and validation of animal models for the pharmacokinetic, efficacy, and toxicity evaluation of pharmaceutical candidates
- Independently conduct biomedical studies, accurately document findings, analyze data and prepare reports for internal and external dissemination
- Flexible hours that will require some weekend and holiday work as well as early am and pm dosing responsibilities
- Responsible for animal care and handling
- Position requires significant rodent handling and participation in rodent husbandry. Occasional lifting of heavy items (> 10kg) items anticipated. Individuals with allergies to animal dander would be significantly limited in the scope of work that could be performed with respect to the responsibilities of the position
- Excellent technical proficiency in rodent handling, dosing and bleeding techniques, and conduct of in vivo studies
- Technical proficiency in necropsy and tissue sample collection
- Working knowledge of the conduct of pharmacokinetic studies in mice and rats using various methods of blood collection (tail vein, saphenous vein, cheek, cardiac)
- Technical proficiency in measuring subcutaneous tumor growth
- Ability to recognize and respond appropriately to both anticipated and unanticipated results during the development and conduct of in vivo studies individually and as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, self-motivated, highly organized, and able to work independently in a fast-paced research environment
- Practical knowledge of IACUC policies desired
- Strong attention to detail
- Practical knowledge of various syngeneic and xenograft tumor models
- Possess a broad-base of skills in support of in vivo biomedical testing, including proficiency in animal dosing and sample collection by various routes and/or methods
- Proficient in development and validation of animal models for the evaluation of efficacy and toxicity of pharmaceutical candidates
Education Requirements (degree, certifications, etc.):
- Bachelor's degree in biology, toxicology, pharmacology or related disciplines, or 3 or more years relevant experience
- Experience with IACUC policies and procedures
- Practical knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice regulations desired Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Keywords: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company, Sunnyvale , Associate Scientist II, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!