Optical Systems Engineer
Posted on: January 9, 2022
As a Systems Engineer at Facebook Reality Labs, you will be
responsible for productizing a sensor or display/optics system that
is core to delivering transformative experiences in Oculus AR/VR
products. You will join an agile team that is laser-focused on
incubating winning prototypes, establishing new process
capabilities with supply-chain partners, and releasing product
sub-systems that are fully hardened for high-volume manufacturing
(HVM).We are seeking an engineer experienced with early technology
paths; able to work collaboratively across both deep and broad
cross-functional teams to manage system maturation, requirements,
and respective risks; and focused on execution while providing
clear and effective communication to remove barriers across
- Drive optical system requirements definitions. Flow down
optical system requirements to sub-system and component level.
Resolve requirements discrepancies at different levels.
- Define sub-system requirements with the product team, then
deliver AR/VR hardware, software, and calibration that meets
specifications. This may include: hardware (optics, electronics,
mechanics, silicon, sensor, data-communication), software (computer
vision algorithms, calibration, modeling, analysis), and
- Drive design verification, testing, and troubleshooting process
to correlate with optical modeling and metrology, and between
sub-system performance and system performance.
- Develop new concepts and technologies for Near-Eye Display
- Support TPMs in evaluation, validation, and delivery to specs
by metrology, user studies, safety studies, FEMA analysis,
environmental analysis, and dogfooding.
- Cross-functional engagement with internal and external partners
to develop concepts and prototypes into realizable product hardware
- BS in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Computer Science or
equivalent work experience.
- Experience in developing systems with
- Knowledge of optics one or more of the following: systems
design and integration, imaging, illumination, radiometry and
photometry, physical and geometric optics, statistics, and
- Experience in optical and sensor system design maturation,
including requirement development from physical based modeling, and
knowledge of fabrication/vendor processes.
- Experience in one or more system optimization and analysis
tools, such as MATLAB, C++, or Java.
- PhD in the field of Optical Engineering, Physics, Electrical
Engineering or related degree.
- 5+ years of experience in research or advanced optics
- Experience with multiple full life cycle product launches.
- Experience with 3D tracking methods, algorithms, devices and
- Experience with design/manufacturing of small form-factor
sensing or imaging systems.
- Process development experience for optical parts, sensors,
computer vision, software and hardware integration.
- Experience developing manufacturing process(es) for coatings,
molding, replication, diamond-turning.
- Rapid prototyping experience (i.e. 3D printing, laser cutting,
- Experience in opto-mechanical integration and system
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community
and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and
services, we're building a different kind of company that connects
billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what
matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together.
Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business
expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our
global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and
working together to empower people around the world to build
community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help
people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at email@example.com.
Keywords: Oculus, Sunnyvale , Optical Systems Engineer, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!