Optical Scientist Intern, Waveguide Design (PhD)
Posted on: November 22, 2021
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Research Team brings together a
world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to
create the future of virtual and augmented reality, which together
will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal
computers are today. And just as personal computers have done over
the past 45 years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything
about how we work, play, and connect. We are developing all the
technologies needed to enable breakthrough AR glasses and VR
headsets, including optics and displays, computer vision, audio,
graphics, brain-computer interfaces, haptic interaction,
eye/hand/face/body tracking, perception science, and true
telepresence. Some of those will advance much faster than others,
but they all need to happen to enable AR and VR that are so
compelling that they become an integral part of our lives.Our
internships are twelve (12) to sixteen (16), or twenty four (24)
weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Explore the potential applications for AR/VR displays enabled
by advanced optical nano-structures and waveguide design.
- Optical design and modeling of waveguides to meet system
- Study any artifacts in waveguide.
- Collaborate with the larger Facebook reality labs team to
explore novel solution space for AR/VR devices.
- Develop next generation AR/VR display prototypes with an
emphasis on both modeling and prototyping of the new concepts.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree
in the field of Optical Science or Engineering, Electrical
Engineering, Physics, Material Science, or a related field.
- 3+ years of modeling and hands-on experience in one or more of
the following areas: geometrical optics, wave optics, micro/nano
optics, and/or polarization holograms.
- In-depth understanding of wave optics modeling such as FEM or
RCWA with proven track of modeling skills.
- 2+ years experience with scientific programming languages such
as Matlab, Python, Mathematica, or similar.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at
the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the
- Experience with optical design using standard design software
such as Zemax, CODE V, VirtualLab, FRED, or LightTools.
- Demonstrated experience via an internship, work experience, or
widely used contributions to open source projects.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as
demonstrated by first-authored publications.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community
and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and
services, we're building a different kind of company that connects
billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what
matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together.
Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business
expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our
global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and
working together to empower people around the world to build
community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help
people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Oculus, Sunnyvale , Optical Scientist Intern, Waveguide Design (PhD), Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!