Staff Scientist, Chemistry
Company: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Staff Scientist, Chemistry
Requisition ID: 156720BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving
science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is
to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and
safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences
research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient
diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their
laboratories, we are here to support them.
US - Sunnyvale, CA
Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Division: Sample
How will you make an impact?
You will be a technical leader responsible for development and
sustaining of sample pretreatment products based on solvent
extraction and Solid phase extraction (SPE) technologies. You will
explore application development and analysis, and experimentation
on sample pretreatment technologies for solid, semi-solid, liquid
and gas samples. You will investigate and develop stationary phases
for development of commercial products and consumables.
What will you do?
- Conduct leading-edge application driven method development in
the field of sample pretreatment and related chromatography
instrumentation, which include the areas of SPE, Solvent
extraction, MS and chromatography.
- Investigate and explore new and established applications by
defining experiments, building, debugging, and characterizing
prototype hardware/software and demonstrate utility.
- Work with engineers and chemists to test prototypes and new
- Collaborate closely with project team members and other
cross-functional groups in the organization including marketing,
applications, and business development.
- Submit and present project updates and reports in verbal and
- Write application notes and technical notes
- Attend and participate in scheduled planning meetings and/or
- Manage and maintain required reagents, laboratory environment,
and equipment needed to carry out assignments.
- Writing SOP and work instruction according to ISO 9001
- Other opportunities may include possible contributions to
scientific literature and presentations at conferences.
- Conduct exploratory research for new sample pretreatment
hardware or consumables with improved performance.
How will you get here?
PhD or Master's degree in chemistry or related field
- 5+ years of R&D laboratory experience
- Experience in analytical chemistry with a focus on sample
pretreatment and chromatography.
- In depth knowledge of sample pretreatment technologies such as
solvent extraction and SPE and chromatography (GC, HPLC and MS) is
- Knowledge of chromatographic instrumentation, valves, SPE
materials, stationary phase materials and QuECHERS, is a plus.
- Record of accomplishment should be demonstrated by Application
notes, Technical notes, publications or patents.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Well versed in the use of analytical equipment and analytical
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly
communicate the technology associated with assigned products.
- Strong understanding of instrumentation principles and
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle
multiple tasks with different priorities
- Ability to make independent decisions and possess strong
- Ability to dissect problems with strong analytical and critical
- Ability to accurately plan, define, and manage projects
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values - Integrity,
Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an
unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing
convenience and pharmaceutical services through our
industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied
Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and
Patheon. For more information, please visit
Keywords: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Sunnyvale , Staff Scientist, Chemistry, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!