Waveguide Design-for-Manufacturing Manager
Posted on: June 11, 2021
At Facebook Reality
Labs (FRL), our goal is to make great consumer virtual, augmented,
and mixed reality experiences that will transform how we work,
play, and communicate. Come work alongside world class scientists
and engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR
pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we
make science fiction real and change the world.
We are currently seeking a manager for our Design-For-Manufacturing
activity within our computational design team. The candidate will
manage a team of innovative optical scientists and engineers
responsible for designing and modeling physical optical elements
that are robust to manufacturing tolerances. This is a full-time
position and requires an advanced degree in optical engineering,
physics, or similar, and a strong background in physical optics
design and innovation. Successful candidates must be comfortable
working in and leading a dynamic cross-functional team.
- Establish and deploy Design-for-Manufacturing methodologies
appropriate to new-to-world optical components.
- Optimizes new concepts, architectures, and technologies used in
Near-Eye Displays (NEDs), projectors, cameras and sensors for
manufacturing scale. These areas could include: integrated optics,
structured light, depth sensing, polarization optics, optical
system design and optical metrology.
- Facilitate modeling and prototyping of critical technologies to
drive system performance across manufacturing tolerances and to
validate achievable and robust visual experience.
- Scaling of emerging concepts in imaging systems and optical
systems in support of NEDs productization.
- Support evaluation and characterization of optical components,
and system integration.
- Collaborate with the larger research team to explore concepts,
perform trades and drive optical system development to create
- Drive supplier choice, interaction and management in order to
deliver prototypes in support of concept demonstrations.
- Manage a team of direct reports. Responsibilities include
meeting weekly with each team member, providing career planning
guidance, and performing semi-annual performance reviews.
- Master's degree in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics,
Electrical Engineering, or similar.
- 3+ years experience in applied research and/or product
development of optics or photonic systems.
- 3+ years experience maturing designs from proof of concept to
early low volume prototypes or taking your own design into
- 3+ years of experience with optics technologies with one or
more of the following: illumination, radiometry/photometry, stray
light analysis, physical optics, imaging.
- 3+ years of experience with laboratory work in setting up of
optical systems, experience with methods and tools for fabrication
of physical optics.
- 3+ years of experience with design optical tools and methods
such as FRED, ASAP, Zemax, CODE V, or leveraging RCWA or FDTD.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture
- Experience working without direction and managing a project
from start to finish.
- PhD in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical
Engineering, or similar.
- Experience with FDTD or RCWA modeling.
- Experience with fundamentals in one or more of the disciplines:
optical scattering modeling and measurement, polarization optics,
optical system design, physical optics, meta-structures and optical
- Experience managing a team of optical scientists in either a
development or manufacturing setting.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as
demonstrated by product launches, grants, fellowships, patents, or
first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences
such as Applied Optics, Optics Letters, Optics Express, and
relevant SIGGRAPH, SID, OSA, SPIE or similar.
Facebook's mission is to
give people the power to build community and bring the world closer
together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a
different kind of company that connects billions of people around
the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and
helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new
products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at
Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly
iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people
around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways.
Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're
just getting started.
Facebook is proud to
be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not
discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex
(including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions),
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected
veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other
applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider
qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with
applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for
candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need
any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Facebook, Sunnyvale , Waveguide Design-for-Manufacturing Manager, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!