Concept Design - Mechanical Engineer, Facebook Reality Labs
Posted on: June 9, 2021
As a Mechanical
Engineer within the multidisciplinary Concept Design Team, you will
employ your expertise in problem solving and prototyping to
accelerate product development across Facebook’s hardware
organization. You will collaborate with teams within Hardware
Engineering, Research and Development, and Industrial Design. These
projects cover a wide variety of technical challenges unique to
Facebook’s hardware portfolio, including Oculus, Portal, and
beyond. This role requires expertise in both designing and building
functional prototypes, including proficiency in integrated design,
CAD, rapid prototyping and fabrication processes as well as a
thorough understanding of when and how to implement the appropriate
processes to provide robust applied solutions. You will work at
every stage of the hardware lifecycle with a particular focus on
concept ideation and early-to-mid stage development. You must be
able to work with minimal guidance, demonstrate a high attention to
detail, be partnership-oriented and possess strong problem-solving
skills. You must be a self-starter, well-organized and have
excellent communication skills. Our team is constantly growing and
you will be relied upon to help define team direction and be
motivated to improve the effectiveness of our tools and processes
from each project to the next.
- Collaborate with Industrial Design, Engineering and Research
teams to identify and solve complex design and UX challenges,
employing mechanical and electro-mechanical design and fabrication
- Design and build prototypes to the appropriate level of
fidelity, considering product requirements goals, and constraints
with an outlook on how prototyping decisions translate into
- Effectively employ computer aided design (CAD), sketching, and
prototyping to clearly communicate design ideas and concept
- Drive large scale integrated project work and establish
achievable schedule and interim milestones for team members to
deliver against project requirements.
- Communicate constraints, progress, and other critical project
information to partner teams.
- Leverage both internal and external manufacturing resources to
produce deliverables to an appropriate level of fidelity.
- Design and finish concepts to rigorous cosmetic/aesthetic
- Ability to execute multiple streams of work simultaneously and
independently balance and prioritize project workload to ensure
success against timeline constraints.
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience in a hands-on Engineering/Design role in
a multi-disciplinary team with experience in consumer electronics
and product development.
- Experience executing at a systems-level and working across a
cross-functional organization including Engineering, Industrial
Design, Research, etc.
- Experience designing prototypes with feasibility for
high-volume manufacturing in mind.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of prototype development
processes, including: rapid prototyping, 3D printing, CNC
machining, molding, casting, electrical prototyping,
- CAD experience (NX, SolidWorks, Fusion 360, Rhino,), including
design of complex mechanical systems, integration of electrical
assemblies and manipulation of complex ID surface geometry.
- Experience working closely with Electrical Engineering, with an
understanding of how to prototype and integrate PCBs and electrical
assemblies into mechanical systems.
- 5+ years of end-to-end integrated product development
experience, including early-stage conceptual design, detailed
design for manufacturing and assembly, late-stage mass production
experience, overseas manufacturing and assembly.
- Experience leading a multidisciplinary product engineering
team, with oversight into mechanical, electrical, and firmware
workstreams and integration between disciplines.
- Experience with tolerancing techniques and rigorous precision
design requirements in optics, machine design, motion control,
- Systems-level engineering experience with complex integrated
- Experience with working models with rigorous cosmetic and
aesthetic requirements, production-level finishes.
- Understanding of Facebook products and technologies.
- Familiarity with camera modules and optical systems.
- Mass-production experience with overseas manufacturing
- Experience in NX CAD modeling system, and Team Center PDM.
Facebook's mission is to
give people the power to build community and bring the world closer
together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a
different kind of company that connects billions of people around
the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and
helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new
products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at
Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly
iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people
around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways.
Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're
just getting started.
Facebook is proud to
be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not
discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex
(including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions),
sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected
veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other
applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider
qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with
applicable federal, state and local law.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for
candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need
any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Facebook, Sunnyvale , Concept Design - Mechanical Engineer, Facebook Reality Labs, Other , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!