Let's create the future together.
At Volvo Cars, we believe that being curious and truly committed
to understanding people is the key to future success. We are people
who care about other people, working together to create new
technologies and innovations for safe, sustainable, and convenient
Want to join us?
What do we offer?
Volvo Cars aim for 50% of global sales to be pure electric by
2025 and by the same time have 1 million electrified cars on the
road. The battery technology continuously undergoes rapid and
frequent changes. Mastering the batteries by having the cell
technology competence is one of the main keys for a successful
electrification of our vehicles. We are now in the beginning of
this very exciting journey.
At Traction Battery System, we are passionate! The section is
responsible for developing the high voltage battery systems. We are
the core competence center in Northern Europe in regards to Li-ion
technology and automotive battery systems.
We are now looking for someone to expand our Battery Cell Team
globally! As the Senior Cell Safety Engineer you will lead the
development of the cell safety strategies together with the cell
team, calibration team and system team to ensure system safety in
We are responsible for future cell strategies and to support
cell suppliers and material companies to develop cells tailored for
Volvo Cars attribute requirements. The team is also responsible for
the battery usage strategies to make sure we have a reliable
battery performance & durability in our electrified vehicles. We
have the cell chemistry competence to support performance and life
model development, performance and life testing and the system
safety team with cell safety knowledge.
We are working in an agile setup according to the scaled agile
framework (SAFe) in agile teams with a common team backlog and
technology roadmap. You will be situated in our Sunnyvale,
California office, but belong to the "Battery Cell" team at Volvo
Cars headquarters in Gothenburg, Sweden, led by the Product Owner
and Manager for Battery Cell & Module team and secure deliveries
according to planned team backlog.
We are open to providing relocation assistance as well as
sponsorship on a case-by-case basis
What you'll do
- Ensure the highest quality and safety of the battery
- Develop cell level safety requirements and recommendations that
consider functional specifications and system design aspects
- Evaluate cells, equipment and test procedures with the aim of
controlling and reducing risks of hazards
- Coordinate assessments, lead safety-critical design reviews,
interpret findings and lead the safety communication with suppliers
throughout the project
- Responsible for planning and take part in system safety review
meetings, including functional safety, Safety Hazards Analysis, and
Fault tree analysis activities
- Support the Battery System Safety development with cell data
and technical expertise in developing appropriate module and system
- Develop test and CAE methods for safety verification of cell
and system interactions
- Utilize your rich experience from Li-ion cells to develop a
knowledge that complements and expands the competence of our team
Do you fit the profile?
- You have at least a Master's degree in Electrochemistry,
Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- You have several years of experience working with Li-ion
battery cells and you have been involved in the areas of
cell/module/pack test development, product safety engineering and
safety standards (for example ISO 26262).
- You also possess experience or knowledge from automotive
industry, experience in Volvo Production Development System (VPDS)
process would be beneficial.
- You have worked in developing projects and that you are
comfortable taking the lead
- You should be able to act independently, as well as to
collaborate within your team and other stakeholders
- You are a reliable team player with excellent communication
- You should have the ability to assess different technical
solutions, prepare and present technical reports.
- Excellent ability to read and understand industry standards and
technical documentation will help you to excel on this
- You should be result oriented, be able to think from customer
perspective and have a structured way of working to deliver upon
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken)
Sunnyvale, CA, US
Job requisition ID: 47124
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto