Requisition Number: 45708
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials
science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its
unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical
physics to develop products that have created new industries and
transformed people's lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation.
We succeed through sustained investment in research & development,
a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to
our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract
and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of
talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for
more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within
Scientist is responsible for identifying and developing new
materials, products and/or processes for improved product
attributes or reduced cost. Product concepts may encompass, but are
not limited to, design applications related to consumer
electronics, life sciences, and environmental technologies. The
position will require development of novel experiments, new
analytical techniques, and existing methods to gain fundamental
understanding of underlying principles. Provide engineering and
creative materials science solutions for multi-disciplinary
projects at CTCSV. Explore and drive new research
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Contribute to projects with deep scientific content that will
lead to novel technologies or products for Corning.
- Work with a diverse team of engineers and scientists on
experiments and prototypes.
- Engage with external stakeholders to explore and/or develop
- Identify new ideas for, and design new prototypes and lab
experiments that are interesting for Corning.
- Build, test, and debug prototypes and lab experiments.
- Communicate and document results.
Travel requirements (please note if international):
Occasional Domestic. Travel to conferences and other Corning
facilities for collaboration.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: M-F, standard work
Education and Experience (minimum required for
Advanced degree in materials science, chemistry, physics,
chemical engineering or equivalent. PhD desired, MS (+industrial
Required Skills (These are skills that candidates must
- Demonstrated experience and strong technical knowledge in
- Demonstrated experience with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Experience and interest in hands on experimentation and
- Experience with safe chemical/reagent handling and associated
- Experience in initiating, completing and reporting research
- Innovative thinking, creative
- Ability to take an idea from concept to reality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse teams
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Ability to design, carry out, and optimize experiments
- Ability to troubleshoot, validate, and maintain lab
- Adherence to a work culture that strongly upholds safe work
Desired Skills (these are the skills that would be nice for
candidates to possess):
- Strong organization skills, ability to manage multiple
- Self-starting individual with strong leadership potential
- Materials characterization experience. (SEM, optical
microscopy, atomic force microscopy (AFM), infrared spectroscopy
(FTIR), UV-Vis spectroscopy, photoluminescence, etc.)
- Experience with surface science (cleaning protocols, wet
deposition techniques, surface functionalization, contact angle
- Experience with optical properties of materials (refractive
index, scattering, absorption, fluorescence, lasers, LEDs).
- Programming/data analysis experience (Python, Matlab, Labview
and similar), lab instrumentation, prototype development, CAD,
Machine shop skills (milling, cutting, assembly).
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Enthusiastic and motivated
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Able to identify long term needs/goals and determine short term
objectives to achieve
- Ability to work independently
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender,
age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity
or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto