Staff Software Engineer (Tools & Data Science)
Posted on: February 16, 2019
At Proofpoint, we have a passion for protecting people, data, and brands from today's advanced threats and compliance risks. We hire the best people in the business to:
- Build and enhance our proven security platform
- Blend innovation and speed in a constantly evolving cloud architecture
- Analyze new threats and offer deep insight through data-driven intel
- Collaborate with customers to help solve their toughest security challenges
We are singularly devoted to helping our customers protect what matters most. That's why we're a leader in next- generation cybersecurity-and why more than half of the Fortune 100 trust us as a security partner.
The staff s/w engineers in the tool & data science group are responsible for creating tools for analyzing and presenting a large and disparate set of real-world data to determine what types of threats are affecting our customers.
This job is an opportunity to do focused, applied research to better understand how the people that we're responsible for protecting are being targeted by bad actors across the globe. With your help, we can advance our state-of-the-art protection mechanisms and keep ahead of an ever-changing threat landscape.
As a staff engineer, you will work with threat analysts, other developers and data scientists to create new tools and extend existing tools which mine data in a variety of formats and network locations to present useful information.
We work with a wide variety of data sources and languages, so one day you'll be spinning up hosts in AWS and deploying python or GO code to trigger Hive jobs that populate new tables in existing databases. The next day you might be prototyping some front end code to show to one of our senior threat analysts to see if that helps them better understand what sort of threats our customers are currently facing.
As you do your work, you'll have access to the full range of tools that Amazon and other public cloud providers are creating to rapidly analyze and visualize terabytes of complex threat metadata.
What you bring to the team
We have two over-arching requirements:
- An inquisitive mind with the ability to learn where the data exists in a large and disparate system and what that data means
- The ability to create tools that programmatically turn data into usable information
Qualifications should include many/most of the following:
- BSCS or greater in relevant technical field with 7 years of experience , or 9+ years experience in a similar role
- hands-on experience with at least one NoSQL database (e.g. ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- hands-on experience with relational databases and SQL (MariaDB, MySQL, etc.)
- experience writing software which interacts with complex, high-volume data from varying sources, including 'messy' real-world data with missing values, inconsistent formatting, etc.
- experience with creating scaled, secure, high-performing code. We process multiple TB of data per day and need to produce information from that data in near real-time.
- prior experience with common elements of cloud infrastructure - load balancers, DNS, LDAP, NAT, ACL, etc.
As a customer focused and driven-to-win organization with leading edge products, there are many exciting reasons to join the Proofpoint team. We believe in hiring the best the brightest and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. As we continue to grow and expand globally, we understand that hiring the right people and treating them well is key to our success! We are a multi-national company with locations in 10 countries, with each location contributing to Proofpoint's amazing culture!
Keywords: Proofpoint, Sunnyvale , Staff Software Engineer (Tools & Data Science), IT / Software / Systems , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!