Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
Posted on: August 15, 2019
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization
of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of
life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer
patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie
(NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company.
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio
consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing
multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more
than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists,
clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work
in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in
immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their
knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates
(ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop
novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart
To learn more about us, please visit us at
Environmental Health & Safety Specialist
General Position Summary/Purpose
Under the direction of the EHS Associate Director, provide guidance
on EHS matters to employees and contractors and exercise
communication, training and consultation skills to successfully
implement programs, policies and positive safety culture.
Responsible for the development, implementation, support and
maintenance of specific environment, health and safety (EHS)
programs as assigned to ensure regulatory compliance and
conformance with the company's EHS Management System. This position
will create programs, policies, procedures, hazard assessments and
training materials in both manufacturing and R&D functions.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities
- Assists in the development and implementation of strategic
programs, plans, policies and procedures to protect all plant
personnel, facilities and the environment.
- Interprets, communicates and implements programs, policies, and
procedures to ensure compliance with all applicable EHS
regulations, corporate standards and Occupational Health and Safety
- Implement EHS programs and initiatives including, but not
- Hazard identification/risk assessment and
planning/implementation of controls
- High hazard control (Lockout Tagout, confined space, work
permits, overhead hoists, machine guarding, electrical safety, fall
protection, powered industrial trucks)
- Ergonomic job safety analysis
- Contractor/construction EHS management
- Industrial hygiene
- Chemical safety/hazard communication
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Injury investigations to determine root cause and analysis and
reporting of leading and lagging safety performance indicators to
drive corrective actions.
- Develops and delivers EHS training on a wide variety of general
safety topics such as hazard communication, contractor safety,
emergency response and various physical safety programs.
- B.S. in safety, environmental, industrial hygiene, health
physics, biological science, or related sciences.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in safety, environmental,
industrial hygiene, health physics, or biological safety in the
pharmaceutical manufacturing or R&D environment. Professional
certifications in EHS preferred.
- Working experience in implementing EHS regulations, conducting
incident investigations, interacting with regulatory agencies and
external organizations and managing cross functional teams
- Development of practical, applicable standards and/or policies
that meet business objectives. Technical expertise in the EHS
functions as well as technical writing and business
- Ability to actively listen, build and maintain effective
working relationships with internal/ external colleagues and
stakeholders, and resolve conflict.
- Ability to successfully manage project and programs.
- Ability to provide clear, concise, and effective verbal
communications and well-developed written communication and
- Ability to plan, organize, delegate, and follow-up on work flow
in a team environment to meet departmental goals and objectives
- Well organized and have excellent attention to detail and
- Proven ability to use email, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power
Point and databases
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Keywords: Pharmacyclics, Sunnyvale , Environmental Health & Safety Specialist, Healthcare , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!