Associate Director, Market Research Oncology
Company: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company
Posted on: October 13, 2019
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization
of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of
life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer
patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie
(NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company.
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio
consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing
multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more
than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists,
clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work
in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in
immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their
knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates
(ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop
novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart
To learn more about us, please visit us at
Associate Director, Market Research (Oncology)
General Position Summary/Purpose:
The Associate Director, Marketing Research (Oncology) will be a
trusted thought partner to therapeutic area leadership, leveraging
superior customer and marketplace understanding to formulate and
execute marketing research programs that deliver insights which
highlight business opportunities and guide brand strategy.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities:
- Act as marketing research lead for designated therapeutic area.
Become a trusted thought partner to therapeutic area leadership,
guiding commercial brand strategy and advising tactical initiatives
based on superior customer insights.
- Create, maintain and ensure timely execution of the marketing
research plans for the designated therapeutic area, driving
alignment with brand strategy and adapting to evolving business
- Possess an expert understanding of custom research
methodologies both qualitative and quantitative. Is highly
proficient at supplier and stakeholder management and lead custom
research programs to deliver compelling strategic and tactical
insight with defined business impact
- Lead the insight discovery process to uncover and define
motivating insights across the customer base.
- Collaborate with and influence the brand team and agency to
drive greater business outcomes.
- Inform the brand planning process based on a deep understanding
of all stages of the patient journey, as well as stakeholder
influences throughout the journey. Clarify moments of meaning and
highlight opportunities to enhance the patient experience. Develop
plans to prioritize and address insights gaps.
- Participate actively in the creative development process,
informing the creative brief and creative concept development and
assessment by representing the voice of the targeted customer.
- Maintain organizational knowledge on all insights and
performance data generated relative to the therapeutic area
supported; including market and competitive trends, health care
environmental influences and investment performance against various
- Possess a strong understanding of industry secondary data and
syndicated sources and their strengths and weaknesses.
- Possess a curiosity and openness to new insight methodologies
and a drive to expand the toolkit to better serve the
- Interact with Centers of Excellence within the Marketing
Analytics and Business Insights department (Advanced Analytics,
Payor Analytics) to develop and convey to commercial teams a
holistic perspective relative to commercial influences. Partner
with forecasting, translate primary and secondary insights,
including market research into key, long-range patient-based
- Develop presentations with concise, clear storylines,
communicating key insights and recommendations while integrating
data sources and existing team knowledge
- Ensure all marketing research activities are conducted in
accordance with financial and ethical compliance guidelines
- BA or BS degree required. Advanced graduate degree preferred
(MBA, MA, PHD, PharmD). Degree concentration in oncology, marketing
research or marketing is a strong plus.
- 8+ year's relevant marketing research experience, business
development, strategic consulting or other analytical work in the
pharmaceutical, biotech or related industries
- Analytical reasoning abilities, intellectual curiosity, strong
business acumen, and creativity in problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written
- Ability to interact effectively with/present to (verbally and
in writing) all levels of the organization, from Product Managers
to Senior Executives.
- Expert knowledge of custom research methodologies. Previous
experience managing primary market research projects and analysis,
both qualitative and quantitative
- Previous experience in a consultative role a plus.
- Proven experience as an integral member of a high performing
work team and proven ability to collaborate and work
cross-functionally to drive business results in a fast-paced
- Demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility within
marketing or business analytics and recognized for being detail
oriented and organized
- Oncology experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Keywords: Pharmacyclics, an Abbvie Company, Sunnyvale , Associate Director, Market Research Oncology, Executive , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!