Company: Tenet Healthcare
Posted on: January 10, 2022
Job Description - Laboratory Director (2105048351) Laboratory
Director - 2105048351 Description : JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for
direction and coordination of the personnel in Clinical Laboratory
services. Activities included are performance of chemical,
microscopic and bacteriologic tests performed in the laboratory to
obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Ensures
that services are of the best quality, are cost contained and are
carried out in an expeditious manner. Responsible for recognizing
results or problems that require referral to the laboratory
pathologist. Maintains performance improvement activities within
the department and participates in CQI activities. Formulates
budget. Maintains effective physician and intradepartmental
relations. Age groups that are served by this position include
neonates, infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and adult
geriatrics. ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Manages and directs the department's administrative and
- Prepares and is accountable for departmental operating budgets
and the capital budget.
- Evaluates personnel in accordance with performance standards in
biochemistry, microbiology, hematology, serology, and blood
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that
optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of
medical/health care errors.
- Addresses complaints regarding laboratory functions and works
with supervisors to resolve the complaints.
- Designs lab requisitions and coordinates improvements in
laboratory reporting systems; serves as liaison with Information
Management Services as it pertains to clinical laboratories.
- Attends and participates in administrative and other meetings,
- Maintains established hospital and departmental policies,
procedures and objectives; maintains the department's continuous
quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control
and compliance with requirements of accreditation and regulatory
- Assists with care and maintenance of department equipment and
supplies; develops an inventory system; oversees cost control
measures in the utilization of department supplies, materials,
equipment and personnel.
- Is responsible for the preparation of reports, payroll records
and other statistical data as required.
- Directs the department's continuing education programs; directs
the in-house meetings on a monthly basis.
- Establishes and monitors criteria for the immediate
notification of the practitioner responsible for the patient, when
critical limits of specified test results are exceeded; implements
corrective actions as required.
- Is accessible to the Laboratory staff for consultation as
- Maintains contact with physicians to solicit appropriate input;
identified problems are addressed in a timely manner.
- Maintains an approved policy and procedure manual that is
available to all personnel.
- Provides effective direction and policy interpretation to
personnel in managing their own work; offers advice in handling
special operational matters and administrative concerns.
- Employs a general supervisor to provide on-site supervision of
high complexity tests in accordance with applicable
- Responsible for the laboratory enrollment in an approved
proficiency testing program for all tests performed. This
- Proficiency testing samples are tested as required.
- The test results are returned within specific time limits that
the proficiency testing program dictates.
- All Laboratory staff will review the proficiency testing
reports and evaluate the Laboratory's performance.
- Responsible for identifying any problems that require
- Responsible for implementing an approved corrective action plan
when any proficiency testing result is found to be unacceptable.
Qualifications : PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements, including all state, federal
and JCAHO regulations.
- Maintains and ensures patient confidentiality at all
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wears identification while on duty.
- Attends annual review and performs departmental
- Works at maintaining a good rapport and a cooperative working
relationship with physicians, departments and staff.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional
- Attends committee, CQI and management meetings, as
- Resolves personnel concerns at the departmental level,
utilizing the grievance process as required.
- Ensures compliance with policies and procedures regarding
department operations, fire, safety and infection control
- Effectively and consistently communicates administrative
directive to personnel and encourages interactive departmental
meetings and discussions.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as
well as the focus statement of the department. REGULATORY
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or related Health
Science Specialty. Meets CLIA requirements for General
- Preferred: Masters in Allied Health Specialty or Health
Administration or Business.
- 5 years of progressive management experience in an acute care
- Preferred: Lab Director experience
- Registered in accordance with an approved certifying agency
(ASCP, NCA, AMT or equivalent). Licensure, as required by State
law. LANGUAGE SKILLS
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and
- Additional languages preferred. SKILLS
- Basic computer knowledge. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing,
repetitive motion and environment, see following description. Job :
Laboratory and Clinical Technicians Primary Location : TX-Sunnyvale
Hospital/Facility : Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - Sunnyvale
Job Type : Full-time Shift Type : Days JOIN OUR TEAM - QUALITY CARE
DELIVERED BY COMPASSIONATE PEOPLE We know it takes a special person
to work in healthcare, and we are committed to providing our people
with an enriching and rewarding environment. We deliver the
resources, tools and support our employees need to serve our
patients and customers in the best way possible - so we can create
happier, healthier communities. - COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY AND
INCLUSION At Tenet, we believe in a diverse and inclusive
environment, one that is grounded in our dedication to the health
and well-being of all people. Respecting, nurturing and encouraging
diversity of thought, background and experience contribute to
positive work environments that result in exceptional patient care.
We embrace diversity because it's our culture, and because it's the
right thing to do. Employment practices will not be influenced or
affected by an applicant's or employee's race, color, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
veteran status or any other legally protected status. Upon receipt
of a conditional offer of employment, applicant will be required to
undergo a criminal background check. Tenet participates in the
E-Verify and Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) programs. Follow
the links below for additional information.E-Verify:
Keywords: Tenet Healthcare, Sunnyvale , Laboratory Director, Executive , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!