Staff Mechanical Engineer - Advanced Energy
Posted on: August 5, 2022
Company Description At Intuitive, we are united behind our
mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing
care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the
potential of physicians to heal without constraints. As a pioneer
and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster
an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference.
For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care
teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest
challenges and advance what is possible. Intuitive has been built
by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe
great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an
inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual
respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do
their best work as their most authentic selves. Passionate people
who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members
are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the
energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world
experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our
team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue
to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential. Join a
team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community
of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's
advance the world of minimally invasive care. Job Description
Primary Function of Position: Intuitive Surgical designs and
manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer is responsible for developing,
documenting, and validating new product designs, as well as
improving existing designs to meet the needs of our customers.The
Staff Mechanical Engineer will develop and support innovative
surgical devices used for Vessel Sealing applications on the da
Vinci Surgical System, from concept to launch and beyond, with
shared responsibility and shared reward. The successful candidate
will understand user needs and requirements, balance individual
product-level requirements with system-level requirements, resolve
complex mechanical design issues, and commit to the highest product
quality. Projects will include a mix of new product development,
product improvements, and sustaining projects to mitigate
challenges related to capacity improvements and supply chain.
Responsibilities include developing, documenting, and validating
new product designs, as well as improving existing designs to meet
the needs of our customers.Roles & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a lead technical designer on cross-functional project
- Translate clinical requirements and user needs to functional
and technical specifications.
- Design, develop and document components and assemblies for
- Analyze and test product designs and their components.
- Develop automated scripts to test designs and analyze data in
Matlab, Python, or other scripting languages.
- Perform risk analyses and develop design requirements.
Document, and test designs according to corporate standard and
departmental operating procedures, including stringent Design
- Help develop initial fixtures and assembly processes in
collaboration with manufacturing and automation teams.
- Provide mechanical engineering sustaining support for
resolution of manufacturing and field issues
- Support production of final product by troubleshooting process
and component problems.
- Support the quality and regulatory processes.
- Create product functional and design specifications.
- Develop and collaborate on verification testing.
- Provide technical advice and mentoring to other mechanical
- Help establish individual and team goals aligned with overall
project and company goals. Qualifications Skills, Experience,
Education, & Training:
- Minimum BSME or similar required.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience with medium to high
- Proficiency using 3D CAD software to design complex mechanical
assemblies (SolidWorks preferred).
- Proficiency using Finite Element Analysis software for design
- Strong mechanical design and analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge of materials (mainly metal and plastic) and
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as
injection molding, MIM, stamping, machining, etc.
- Experience with rapid prototyping.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, and the ability to work well within a
fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Experience leading projects and/or small teams preferred.
- Medical device experience preferred.
- Prior vessel sealing experience (RF or other) a strong plus.
Additional Information Due to the nature of our business and the
role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may
require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain
diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.Intuitive is
an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal
employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees,
and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without
regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran
or disability status, genetic information or any other status
protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.We will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws. Shift : Day
Travel : 10% of the timeTravel Requirements:10% of the time
Keywords: Intuitive, Sunnyvale , Staff Mechanical Engineer - Advanced Energy, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!