Sr. Automation Equipment Engineer
Posted on: July 29, 2022
Company Description At Intuitive, we are united behind our
mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing
care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the
potential of physicians to heal without constraints. As a pioneer
and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster
an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference.
For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care
teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest
challenges and advance what is possible. Intuitive has been built
by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe
great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an
inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual
respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do
their best work as their most authentic selves. Passionate people
who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members
are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the
energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world
experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our
team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue
to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential. Join a
team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community
of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's
advance the world of minimally invasive care. Job Description
Impact of this role:In this position, you will make significant
contributions to how the da Vinci Robot is built and tested. You
will analyze assembly and test processes to identify opportunities
for improving the methods, quality, and productivity of the
manufacturing line. You will be responsible for development of new
equipment, tooling and testers, and for continuous improvements to
existing test and assembly fixtures. Roles and Responsibilities:The
ideal candidate will have experience developing custom PC and PLC
based automated equipment including concept development, layout
design, detailed component design, integration specification,
control panel wiring, PLC/HMI programming, tool assembly build,
start up and qualification. This position has responsibility and
- Identify, design, qualify, document and implement automation
test and assembly equipment solutions to be used in manufacturing
of DaVinci products.
- Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment, including its
requirements, design, operation, and qualification in compliance
with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
- Perform design review for new equipment and tooling
- Execute equipment design and process verification/validation,
including DQIQOQPQ activities to allow production release of new
- Drive continuous improvement projects in the test and equipment
space to increase manufacturing yields, improve test coverage,
diagnostic capability, productivity, and error proofing.
- Utilize statistical tools to develop reports of process
performance and identify areas of manufacturing improvement.
- Determine the root cause of equipment and system test
- Maintain BOMs for test fixtures, tools or aids. Maintain spare
equipment, hardware/software and computer configurations.
Qualifications Skill/Job Requirements: Competency Requirements:
(Competency is based on education, training, skills, and
- Minimum BSME/BSEE Mechatronics or Mechanical engineering with
minimum of 8 years related experience.
- Demonstrated completion of detailed mechanical designs, to
include kinematic and dynamic analysis, material selection, and in
depth understanding of machine shop methods of fabrication.
- Ownership for the design, documentation, qualification, and
manufacturing line support of new assembly/test fixtures and
automated equipment solutions for manufacturing production.
- High Proficiency in mechanical design, CAD (SolidWorks), and
working with PDM systems. Demonstrated work in component design,
equipment assembly design, and completion of detailed mechanical
drawings utilizing GD&T.
- Experience with developing programs for PC or PLC/HMI based
automated equipment for manufacturing.
- Prior experience with the hands-on building, startup, IQOQ, and
debug of assembly fixtures and automated capital equipment for
- Experience in the full integration selection and commissioning
of elements used industrial automation equipment including Multi
Axis robots /cartesian systems, servo/stepper drives, pneumatic
actuators and industrial communication protocols (I/O link, RS-485,
TCP/IP), and sensor selection.
- Ability to recognize opportunities in manufacturing improvement
through the use of data collection and analysis to include 6 Sigma,
SPC, control chart analysis.
- Onsite work required, position based in Sunnyvale, CA
- 10% Travel expected.Preferred:
- Minimum MSME/MSEE (or equivalent) with 6 years prior
- Prior hands-on Equipment Engineering experience supporting a
high-volume manufacturing line.
- Demonstrated individual ownership for the design and build of
complete automation work cells.
- Successful design and release of compound motion
tooling/linkage elements used for automation assembly and process
- Control cabinet design and layout, electrical schematic
creation, and full build. Prior hands on UL508 build experience a
- Prior experience working with PLM systems (Agile preferred),
SAP applications, including ECO creation, origination of equipment
specification, test protocols, BOM, and work instructions.
- Prior Siemens TIA Portal Programming experience
- Prior experience in developing and supporting automating screw
drive assembly applications.
- Experience with communication protocols, Profinet, Profibus,
I/O link, TCP/IP, RS 232, and RS 485.
- Prior experience in interfacing PLC s to a SQL database using
an OPC UA interface.
- Experience working in a medical device company or other
regulated business. Additional Information Due to the nature of our
business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your
customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination
against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by
role.Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We
provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants
and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any
type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected
veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other
status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.We
will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws. Shift : Day
Travel : 10% of the timeTravel Requirements:10% of the time
Keywords: Intuitive, Sunnyvale , Sr. Automation Equipment Engineer, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!