Sr. Research Engineer - AR/VR
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our
mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing
care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the
potential of physicians to heal without constraints. As a pioneer
and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster
an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference.
For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care
teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare--------s
hardest challenges and advance what is possible. Intuitive has been
built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We
believe great ideas can come from anywhere-----"we strive to foster
an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual
respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do
their best work as their most authentic selves. Passionate people
who want to make a difference drive our culture-----"our team
members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn,
the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world
experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our
team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue
to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential. Join a
team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community
of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together,
let--------s advance the world of minimally invasive care.Job
DescriptionPrimary Function of Position
We are seeking a Senior Research Engineer to join the Future
Forward Research Group at Intuitive Surgical. Our group's role is
to explore speculative concepts and technologies that are promising
for future products and services in the emerging field of computer
and robot-assisted medical interventions. As a Senior Research
Engineer, you will work on the research, design and development of
augmented/virtual reality apps for mobile (Tablets, iPad) and
head-mounted devices targeting end-users involved in surgical
robotic procedures.The successful candidate must excel in a
high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and have a commitment
to high-quality research prototypes and supporting infrastructure.
A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is
required. As part of the research team, immediate responsibilities
Roles and Responsibilities
Work on a cross-functional engineering research team to design,
develop, and integrate software and algorithms that will enable us
to explore concepts for future surgical robotic platforms. This
includes, but is not limited to the following areas:
- Develop new applications for novel display systems such as for
Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and/or Mixed reality.
- Develop machine vision and scene understanding algorithms to be
integrated into surgical robotic systems.
- Develop software to quickly prototype and evaluate research
concepts using tools such as Visual studio, Python, Matlab, Unity
- Develop software to bring-up and evaluate third party systems,
algorithms and OEM components.
- Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to
establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This will
include rapid iterations of prototype development and
- Build applications and infrastructure that are extensible and
robust while working in small teams.
- Create white papers and documentation for software
architecture(s) and libraries.
- Work with, and support, external research partners and
- Research, Design and Develop customer-facing AR/VR applications
with the latest reality hardware such as Oculus, HoloLens, iOS, and
- Build, debug, and deploy next-generation AR/VR apps in
- Build secure, robust, reliable AR/VR applications providing
- Develop new immersive reality features that contribute to the
- Integrate AR/VR apps with back-end systems, APIs, and
- Participate in the design discussion, code reviews, leading the
products to the next level using well-suited software design
patterns and principles.
- Define the technical approach for product features, optimize
for speed, performance, effectiveness, and
Minimum Educational background in software engineering or related
program (PhD degree preferred) or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience in developing software and
- Demonstrated hands-on skills of C++ and C#.
- Experience using animated 3D models.
- Familiarity with developing applications for Headsets/AR Mobile
devices such as - Oculus Quest, HoloLens, iPad, or equivalent.
- Experience building and shipping high-quality Unity apps.
- Experience with TCP, UDP, RTP, HTTPS and A/V standards such as
MPEG, H.264, and WebRTC.
- Attention to detail in UI and UX design & implementation.
- Strong communication and team-success-oriented collaboration
- Excellent programming skills with a solid understanding of
software engineering techniques, methodologies, and attention to
- Disciplined debugging skills and a tenacious problem
Experience writing graphics shaders in unity.
- Knowledge of 3D, CAD, and Rigid-body physics.
- Experience using Metal/OpenGL/Vulkan or other 3D graphics
- Experience working with AR libraries such as ARKit, Vuforia,
Additional InformationDue to the nature of our business and the
role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may
require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain
diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.Intuitive is
an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal
employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees,
and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without
regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender
identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran
or disability status, genetic information or any other status
protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.We will
consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and
conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.Shift :
DayTravel : 10% of the timeTravel Requirements:10% of the time
Keywords: Intuitive, Sunnyvale , Sr. Research Engineer - AR/VR, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!