Posted on: June 23, 2022
Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our
mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing
care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the
potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we
strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making
a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals
and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's
hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from
diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere.
We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of
thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our
team members to do their best work as their most authentic
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture.
Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity
to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real
world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest
in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can
continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global
community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together,
let's advance the world of minimally invasive care. Job Description
What this role is about: We need a strong Mechanical Engineer with
high motivation and energy, to engage with design teams in an
analytical/critical manner. You will be responsible for supporting
NPI products, with a focus on mechanical design of the Vision-Side
Cart (VSC) as they merge into manufacturing. This position is
highly collaborative, and strong communication/presentation skills
will provide you with high visibility amongst the engineering,
production and management teams. You should have working experience
and theoretical knowledge in many of the following areas:
- Precision Machined parts / GD&T / Tolerance stack up
- Manufacturing processes, including machining, casting and
- Experience with multi-part assembly, fitment and alignment, and
- Friction, Stress - Strain analysis
- Software tools (ie. Matlab, etc.)
- Basic engineering principles and analysis techniques What you
- Take ownership of various Vision Cart mfg processes and overall
analysis of design
- Creation and maintenance of efficient "mid-volume"
manufacturing line, specifying and/or refining BOMs, assembly and
test processes and detailed work instructions.
- Lead technical discussions/meetings to communicate technical
project/issue status to other engineers, production teams and
- Provide training and support to production and engineering
- Qualify/document/implement/support production and RMA-line test
equipment, at both ISI factory and vendor facilities. Propose
equipment design changes as appropriate.
- Perform regular analysis of factory data and use it to
anticipate and solve manufacturing/quality problems.
- Deliver improvements in yield, reliability, serviceability,
manufacturability, testability, capacity and cost.
- Interface with cross-functional engineering teams including
mechanical, software and clinical disciplines.
- Work with 3rd party vendors, contract manufacturers and
internal personnel for component and process/outsourcing
initiatives. Travel to vendor sites as required.
- Hands-on troubleshooting of non-conforming product, including
multi-level failure analysis for discrepant parts and assemblies.
Drive to root cause and follow-up corrective action.
- Ensure compliance with medical device quality system including
corrective action closure, discrepant material dispositions and
- Leads and participates in initiatives focused on yield
improvement, material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, and
outsourcing of assemblies.
- Performs other duties as required. Qualifications Competency
Requirements: (based on: education, training, skills and
experience) Required (must-have):
- Minimum BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or
other similar field.
- Minimum 5+ years experience in a manufacturing or
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical part and assembly
- Knowledge and execution of Good Manufacturing Practices
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. Necessary
to engage with technicians, production management, product
development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, customer
support and clinical marketing organizations.
- Proficient with computers and software applications (Excel,
Powerpoint, Word, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of process controls, including Six-Sigma, CPk,
- "Self-starter" attitude and comfort in a hands-on environment,
where you can to influence product design to improve reliability,
robustness and performance.
- Troubleshooting mind set - an ability to systematically and
effectively break down a system or process into subparts to
identify failures and troubleshoot to component level.
- Excellent documentation skills and high standards for
- High energy and genuine excitement to learn and get to the
bottom of problems. Preferred (nice-to-have):
- MS degree in an engineering discipline listed above.
- Prior experience working in an FDA/ISO regulated
- Prior experience with Documentation and production control
systems: Agile, SAP, MES
- Prior experience in understanding/reading test code: Matlab,
- Demonstrated ability to effectively design experiments, solve
problems and implement them in manufacturing
- Expert knowledge (black-belt) of process controls, including
Six-Sigma, CPk, etc.
- Prior experience evaluating/managing supplier part
- Experience in Just-In-Time, Demand Flow Technology, and Lean
Manufacturing techniques. Additional Information Due to the nature
of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or
your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of
vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details
can vary by role. Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity
Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all
qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and
harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age,
religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic
information or any other status protected under federal, state, or
local applicable laws. We will consider for employment qualified
applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with
fair chance laws. Shift : Day Travel : None Travel
Keywords: Intuitive, Sunnyvale , Manufacturing Engineer, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!