Optical Materials Engineer
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) brings together world-class experts
to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of
hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship
products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products
that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of
connecting the world. This team has the responsibility for taking
breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Facebook
Reality Labs seeks an Optical Materials Engineer with the ability
to bring new materials to consumer products at scale. We are
looking for slightly impatient individuals willing to face down
their fear of failure to accomplish bold things.
- Understand the optical systems in FRL's product roadmap and
identify risks and opportunities related to materials.
- Drive development of novel optical material technologies to
enable new capabilities in future consumer devices, either
internally or with external partners.
- Support technical program leaders in the development of new
technologies and remove material barriers from the path to
- Provide optical materials expertise throughout the full
hardware development cycle.
- Define and execute testing and evaluation of materials to
determine performance and drive material selection.
- Seamlessly transition materials technology to high volume
- B.S. in Material Science and Engineering, Physics, Chemistry,
Electrical Engineering or other relevant degree.
- 5+ years of experience with optical materials and
- Experience with analysis of complex optical systems,
understanding of system performance metrics and ability to identify
- Experience in methods used to determine optical properties of
- Experience leading large cross-functional projects teams.
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced environment and ability to
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Material Science and Engineering, Physics,
Chemistry, Electrical Engineering or other relevant
- 10+ years of experience with optical materials and
- Experience with optical materials (ceramics and polymers) and
optical component fabrication techniques, including polishing,
moldable optics and adhesives.
- Experience with package-level integration of optical and
- Experience with optical characterization, including geometric
optics (lenses, mirrors, beam cameras, integrating spheres),
building test setups on optical tables.
- Experience with liquid crystals, LED and OLED and other display
- Experience with testing, evaluating, and specifying thin film
optical coatings, optical hard coatings, anti-reflection
- Experience with thin film deposition technologies such as
thermal and E-beam evaporation, sputtering, chemical vapor
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community
and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and
services, we're building a different kind of company that connects
billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what
matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together.
Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business
expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our
global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and
working together to empower people around the world to build
community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help
people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at .
Keywords: Oculus, Sunnyvale , Optical Materials Engineer, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!