Hardware Engineer Intern, HW Development Display Optics (PhD)
Posted on: November 18, 2021
Facebook FRL Hardware Display Development team within D&O
organization in Sunnyvale is looking for exceptional and highly
self-motivated interns to help us develop characterization for
display optical visual performances for the next generation of
Portal and VR Displays.
Facebook is a world leader of virtual reality technology
development. There are many visual artifacts identified in VR
headsets that are not very well characterized or defined. Display
is the key component contributing to critical artifacts. The
methodology to quantify the display visual artifacts and study the
correlation to human perception is an important metric to build in
VR technology development. This position is particularly suited for
applicants with the background of (but not limit to)
display/optical engineering, optoelectronics, physics, color
science, or human perceptual science.
The Portal team builds consumer hardware to advance Facebook's
mission of bringing the world closer together. The Portal family of
products currently includes Portal, Portal mini and Portal+, home
video communications devices designed from the ground up to make it
easier for people to connect with their closest friends and
Our internships are twelve (12) or sixteen (16) weeks in length and
have various start dates throughout the year.
- Identify and define display related visual artifacts.
- Explore, design, and implement methodology experiments to
measure and quantify visual artifacts.
- Hands-on metrology set up and measurement for data
- Provide data analysis and correlate to visual perception.
- Expand methodology to different scenarios.
- Collaboration with and support of other researchers across
various disciplines (human factors, optics, metrology).
- Communication of research agenda, progress and results over the
course of the intern project.
- Final presentation for cross functional partners on the
- Help design Facebook's next generation displays.
- Build and test prototypes of display optical design.
- Make optical measurement on displays of various thin film
- Simulate display optical performances using tools including
self-developed modeling program.
- Correlate simulation result with optical characterization.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, PhD degree in
the field of optical science, liquid crystal materials, electrical
engineering, mechanical engineering, optoelectronics, physics, or
- Extensive hands-on experience with characterization of display
or optical system.
- Experience with display and/or thin film optical
- Experience with programming tool like Matlab for optical
simulation and data processing.
- Knowledge of light transmission, reflection, polarization, and
color in display.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the
time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during
- Experience with scientific programming languages such as
Matlab, Python, or similar.
- Demonstrated relevant industry experience via an internship or
- Proven track record of achieving results as demonstrated in
accepted papers at international peer-reviewed journals or
- Familiar with display simulation tool like LCD Master.
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community
and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and
services, we're building a different kind of company that connects
billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what
matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together.
Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business
expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our
global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and
working together to empower people around the world to build
community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help
people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,
national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related
medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age,
status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a
disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is
committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates
with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any
assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us
know at email@example.com.
Keywords: Meta, Sunnyvale , Hardware Engineer Intern, HW Development Display Optics (PhD), Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!