Lead Engineer, Backend
Posted on: February 20, 2021
No Agency Submissions Accepted
What We Are About:
Our guiding philosophy in Engineering is to get things right
through practicing disciplined engineering, focusing, not cutting
corners, and of course having fun while we are at it. We believe in
enabling ownership at all levels of the organization and empowering
teams. If you thrive in this culture, come join us, we are changing
how enterprises secure their applications.
What You Will Accomplish:
We are growing the core team responsible for building the Policy
Compute Engine, the central brain of Illumio Core and Illumio Edge.
We are a small, high-functioning team that empowers engineers to
innovate and build a world class product. We ask for ownership at
all levels of the organization rather than rely on a centralized
You will be writing non-blocking, concurrent code for a distributed
system that is deployed in our SaaS, inside the datacenter, and
across geographic boundaries. You will have the opportunity to
design critical features and subsystems, work out all of the
details, defend the design before your peers, and deliver a
rock-solid implementation. You will also mentor junior engineers,
new-grads, and interns to help them grow as engineers and become
productive members of the team.
We primarily write code in Ruby and use PostgreSQL and Redis in the
data layer. We integrate with Docker, Kubernetes/Openshift, and
cloud platforms. We welcome people with backgrounds in other
languages and technology stacks along with a desire to learn.
- Contribute high quality, scalable code to the Illumio Policy
Compute Engine, running in the Illumio SaaS and customer
- Own critical features and subsystems within the Policy Compute
Engine application. Own the entire software development lifecycle,
from clarifying requirements to ensuring their successful
deployment and usage by customers.
- Provide leadership around building robust features and
applications through code reviews, design reviews, and evangelizing
coding best practices.
- Work closely with a strong cross-functional team with the goal
of building a world class product.
What You Will Bring:
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical
- 8+ years of experience with building software in distributed
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms, operating
systems and networking concepts, and debugging skills.
- Experience building large, distributed, and scalable software
- Experience with cloud application design and development,
webservices, and REST APIs.
- Experience with higher level programming languages (e.g. Ruby,
Python) and/or demonstrated ability to learn new languages.
Experience with relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL).
- Experience with container environments such as
Kubernetes/Openshift is highly desirable.
- Experience building security policy management software is a
Who We Are
Illumio enables organizations to realize a future without
high-profile breaches by preventing the lateral movement of
attackers across any organization. Founded on the principle of
least privilege in 2013, Illumio provides visibility and
segmentation for endpoints, data centers or clouds. The world's
leading organizations, including Morgan Stanley, BNP Paribas,
Salesforce, and Oracle NetSuite, trust Illumio to reduce cyber
risk. For more information, visit and engage us on LinkedIn and
Keywords: Illumio, Sunnyvale , Lead Engineer, Backend, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!