API Governance - Staff engineer
Company: Clover Network, Inc.
Posted on: January 16, 2020
Every day, Clover devices handle the core card and point-of-sale
processing for hundreds of thousands of merchants. Behind the
scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing processing, storage
and collaboration for merchants, application developers, service
providers and our merchants' customers. Our devices and platform
form the backbone of millions of payment interactions between
merchants and their customers daily.
You will be the founding team member of our new API Governance
team. Clover has hundreds of external and internal APIs. These
include RESTful APIs as well as SDKs targeted at Android, iOS, and
Windows among others. All Clover devices and web applications use
these APIs to communicate with the cloud services and some of these
APIs are shared with our partners in order to enable them to build
on our platform. What was once a startup, is now a group of
products and services serving hundreds of thousands of small
businesses and processing billions of dollars in payments. You will
be collaborating with more than a hundred software engineers to
lead our API governance and improve our API interface standards,
security model, and analytics while remaining compliant with
corporate and legal guidance. You will also be responsible for
reusability by helping engineers understand what APIs already
exist.About YouYou are an accomplished technologist whose built
many APIs and SDKs. You understand the pain of inconsistent APIs as
a developer, but you also like to move fast. You are passionate
about technology and are enthusiastic about deep technical
discussions. In the face of adding additional governance to
hundreds of APIs built over the span of 7 years, you are methodical
and calm. You know how to prioritize work, describe trade-offs, and
you are great at writing your reasoning down.
You love to learn new things and are constantly sharing your new
learnings with your colleagues, specializing in the design and
development of secure, stable, and scalable software systems. You
have honed your craft after years of trial, error, and concerted
practice. You take pride in your work, tempered with enough
humility to never stop improving. You strike the right balance of
building for today while anticipating the needs of tomorrow. You
are disciplined and deliberate; adaptive and resourceful; driven by
curiosity; passionate yet rational; opinionated but not
You understand the complexities of the real world and can balance
that against the purity of idealized solutions.About UsThe API
Governance team is part of the Developer Platform organization at
Clover. Our focus is on building a platform for external (and
internal) developers to build amazing solutions for small
businesses around the globe. All members of our team have the
opportunity to provide significant impact internally at Clover as
well as externally-both for the merchants we serve, and for their
customers all over the world.Our Maxims
- Curiosity is contagious.
- "It works" is not good enough.
- Autonomy does not mean isolation.
- Guidance is better than prescription
- Brilliance is welcome. Toxicity is not.
- Java for back-end services.
- MySQL for OLTP. Snowflake for OLAP.
- Kafka for stream processing.
- Memcached for caching (duh).
- Redis for ephemeral shared data structures.
- Wavefront and ELK (elasticsearch, logstash, kibana) for
- Google (GCP) as our cloud service provider.
- Docker for building containers. Kubernetes for running
- Android for apps running on Clover devices
- React and Ember for web applications
This is the Clover of today. You can help shape the Clover of
- Define and execute the API governance for all Clover
- Able to do a deep-dive in the Java code on any given API
endpoint to understand it's functionality and explain it to
- Work frequently with other teams to coordinate major changes to
cross-system architectures, influencing upstream or downstream for
the most efficient solutions
- Negotiate with other engineering teams to balance the need for
API standardization with the flexibility to innovate and be
- This role is roughly 33% coding and technical design, 33%
coaching, and 33% research and learning.
- Strong CS fundamentals. BS degree in Computer Science or
related technical field, or equivalent practical
- Experience building and maintaining many APIs and SDKs
- Strong knowledge of the OpenAPI Specification and RESTful
- A coaching attitude. You know how to help others
- You roll up your sleeves and write code. You know how to work
well with others and get things done as a group.
- A strong sense of ownership and stewardship for a codebase that
you may not have helped create but that you will help
- Ability to manage competing priorities, a focus on shipping,
and the ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to learn quickly and work with SDK experts in iOS,
Android, Windows, etc.
Nice to have:
- Experience contributing to an API Governance program
- Experience with Android or iOS development
- Cloud experience: platform does not matter
- Experience with tools like Elastic/Kibana, Jenkins, Pagerduty,
- Release software tooling (git, Jenkins, custom
- Experience with gRPC and graphQL
Keywords: Clover Network, Inc., Sunnyvale , API Governance - Staff engineer, Engineering , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!